Thursday, May 29, 2014

Solomon M. Coles Historical Marker: Former Solomon M. Coles Elementary, Now Recreation Center.

 So, I've found it. What I did not know existed. Pardon my creepy smile but I was excited that I was standing on the very ground where many Black children and teens had been educated. This school was a high school for Black kids in Corpus Christi who could only go to school for two months. This school is also the first school for Black children in Corpus Christi. It was turned into an elementary school after the desegregation act of 1967 and closed down as an elementary school in 2005. There is so much history resting on this land and in this building.
 The plaques honoring Solomon M. Coles are fitting and make me proud because though I am not Black, I can see how important this school must have been, what opportunities it offered. My cousins even attended this elementary school before it closed down. My trip to the library gave me access to news articles written about reunions of high school students of this school and the enthusiasm and appreciative attitudes could be heard in the words of the alumni. This school is not unlike the school for Mexican children.

My project has taught me alot and though I struggled a lot, I am trying my best to make my project in perfect honor of Solomon M. Coles' greatness.

No comments:

Post a Comment