Sunday, April 27, 2014

Cheston L. Heath School

So, this is my sister and me at the Corpus Christi Courthouse. Oh, and my brother's hands and legs are in on this one too. He insisted.
For this picture we hopped in the car, my whole family, and went in search of the historical marker in the picture. I asked my father if he knew about the school made for Mexican Americans and he had no idea! Well, neither did I.
But I am quite happy they, the state of Texas, have acknowledged the importance of the Cheston L. Heath school to Corpus Christi history, Texas history, and Mexican-American history. It's sort of weird thinking about how at one point in South Texas history, an area that is now predominately Hispanic, Mexican-American students were separated from other students. I'm happy Mexican-American students were then allowed to attend the same schools as other students but I am sort of sad that the school that offered so many first opportunities to non-white students has been put to rest. But I suppose that is why the marker was put in place.
Here is a close-up of the historical marker and the history it highlights:
Interesting stuff, no?
See you next time, fellow history students!

No comments:

Post a Comment