Saturday, April 26, 2014

Solomon M. Coles; The Introduction

The topic that I chose for my Corpus Christi History Project is Mr. Solomon M. Coles. I'm going to be straight up honest right now; I just picked a random topic. Though this might seem bad since many people encourage others to look into something that will really interest them because people tend to have a lot less enthusiasm when it comes to something they are not genuinely interested in, I am actually happy I chose a random topic. Why? Because at the time I glanced upon Mr. Solomon M. Coles' namesake, I had no preconception or perceived idea of who he was. In all honestly, I thought he was some rich white guy who Del Mar had decided to name a building after. Okay, maybe I did have some preconceptions but they were just my darn prejudices. Essentially, I was just guessing.
But when I began to look him up, I discovered that he was one of Yale's first Black students and that he'd been an educator here in Texas! And he lived so long ago!
Books have also been written about him and I really want to buy them and read them. The books about him seem to be written by two authors and I read somewhere they are from here, Corpus Christi. This may just be a mistake but if they are from here, I could maybe get in touch with them. I can also look into Del Mar's sources on him or visit the public libraries.
I feel like this project isn't going to be as tough as I expected it would be since I already found much more information of Mr. Coles than I thought I would.


No comments:

Post a Comment